Creamy Broccoli + Cauliflower soup
I have always loved, loved, LOVED cream of broccoli soup. Unfortunately most store bought ones are filled with flour, additives and poor quality dairy, which can be really hard on the gut. Here is my dairy-free, more gut friendly version. Not only is it filled with a variety of green vegetables, it's incredibly tasty and is sure to satisfy during these colder months ahead.
Broccoli: is a great source of vitamins K and C, a good source of folate (folic acid). Vitamin C – builds collagen, which forms body tissue and bone, and helps cuts and wounds heal. Broccoli can also help regenerate your skin due to containing glucoraphanin–an organic compound that is unique to broccoli and cauliflower.
Serves 4 Total Time: 45 minutes
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1/2 cup of fresh parsley
- 1 medium onion chopped (approx. 2 cups)
- 3 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 2 heads of broccoli chopped ( approx. 6 cups)
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach
- 1 zucchini (approx. 1 cup)
- 1.5 cups of cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- 3.5 cups vegetable broth (chicken bone broth can also be used for an extra gut loving version)
- 2 cups of water
- 3-4 tablespoons hemp hearts I love Manitoba Harvest
- 2 teaspoons of dijon mustard
Note: if you don't have hemp hearts, feel free to add 2 cups of dairy-free milk of your choice instead of 2 of water.
- In a large stockpot, heat coconut oil over medium heat. Add onion, and garlic. Sprinkle with 1 tsp salt. Sauté until onion is translucent and just tender. Add parsley, cauliflower and zucchini and cook for another 3 mins.
- Add water and either vegetable broth or bone broth and bring to boil. Add broccoli and let simmer for 5 mins.
- Add nutritional yeast, spinach and mustard. Remove from heat and allow it to cool for 5 mins.
- Transfer the soup to a blender add 3 tablespoons of hemp hearts and blend on high until smooth.
- Divide into bowls and garnish with lemon juice, olive oil, S+P. I love adding sourdough croutons!