Morning Matcha Latte
I’ve recently moved away from coffee (during the week) and have been enjoying different variations of this creamy matcha delight nearly every morning. As someone who experiences anxiety very easily, I love matcha for the calming yet alert effect it has. Instead of the nervous shakiness, I sometimes get from coffee.
I like to add healthy fats, adaptogens, and protein to my matcha. This keeps me satisfied all morning.
Antioxidants occur naturally in plant-based foods such as fruits and vegetables. There are thousands of antioxidant compounds out there including vitamins A, C, and catechins. Antioxidants help or prevent cell damage caused by oxidants.
Of the many compounds found in matcha, EGCG (Epigallocatechin Gallate) is one of the most unique and beneficial antioxidants out there. In simplest terms, EGCG contains metabolism boosting properties which can be associated with weight loss and management.
Matcha green tea is an incredible source of the amino acid L-Theanine. Many studies suggest that supplementing L-Theanine in your diet can promote relaxation, reduced stress, and boost concentration. This amino acid works hand-in-hand with the small amounts of caffeine that are native to matcha green tea to give you natural energy and mental alertness.
Serves 1 Total Time: 5 minutes
- 1 tsp of matcha (I use Soar Organics ceremonial matcha )
- 1 Tbs of coconut butter
- 1 Tbs of collagen (Good source of protein and great for healing your gut)
- 1/2 cup of non-dairy milk of your choice (I love almond, coconut and cashew milk)
- 1/4 tsp of cinnamon
- 1.5 cups of hot water (optimal temperature for matcha is roughly 175f / 80c.)
- 1/4 tsp of adaptogen of your choice (optional)
*I love to add adaptogens to my matcha such as ashwagandha, maca, rhodiola or cordyceps mushroom. Adaptogens are a unique class of healing plants: They are natural substances that work with a person’s body and help them adapt; most notably, to stress. Everyone is different, so experiment with different ones and see which works best for you.
Using a Blender
- Heat water (optimal temperature for matcha is roughly 175f / 80c.)
- Add all ingredients to the blender and blend for a minute or so
- Pour into a mug and enjoy
I love Canadian brand Soar Organics. They use carefully sourced high quality organic matcha green tea from the farms of Kyoto, Japan. It is certified organic, gluten-free, vegan-friendly, and free of any GMOs.