Homemade Vanilla Coconut Milk
Unfortunately, the cans of most store-bought coconut milk are lined with BPA. Refrigerated cartons are better but can be expensive and many have added sweeteners or preservatives.
Benefits: Coconut is packed with medium chain fatty acids (MCT) and lauric acid. It has many health promoting benefits, such as hormone support, mental boost, immune support, digestive support and a great source of healthy fats.
- 1.5-2 cups of organic shredded coconut (depending on desired creaminess)
- 5 cups of warm filtered water
- 1 pitted medjool date (optional)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- Place coconut, salt, vanilla and date (make sure to remove the pit) in the blender and add warm water.
- Blend on high for several minutes until thick and creamy.
- Gently squeeze through a nut milk bag.
- Drink immediately or store in the fridge. Should be used within 3-4 days for the best flavour and texture. Since there are no preservatives or fillers, the "cream" of the coconut milk may separate on the top if stored in the fridge. Just shake or stir before using.